Monday, February 13, 2017

Allow me to introduce you to . . .

Greetings to the Worship Seminar Group (RELI 3123) AND to a special group of ministers who are following the Worship Seminar at Lindsey Wilson College.  The purpose of this site is to offer an occasional interaction for ministers and the students in our seminar as we encounter a variety of topics through our course readings.  Ministers, we invite you to read the post at the bottom of this page, "Welcome to Common Meter," as an introduction to our journey.  And, speaking of "introductions" . . . Please allow me to introduce you to each other!  

(Shockingly, in her lengthy description of proper introductory etiquette, Amy Vanderbilt did not provide guidance on how to make introductions via a blog!  Therefore, we shall set the standard that will blaze the trail for all future generations!  By following the directions below, let's randomly mix together student and minister introductions.) 

Students, it is an honor for me to work with you this semester.  We have already discovered that we have an amazing group of people in our seminar and that our discussions in class will be rich and rewarding.  Add to this some very real-world ministry insights from our guests, and the understanding you gain is even deeper.  Please introduce yourself by sharing your name, where you are from, your course of study at LWC, and something uniquely interesting about yourself. 

Ministers, it has been a blessing to connect with you and bring Lindsey Wilson College to you and your congregation.  You will receive fresh perspectives from our students and find new ideas for your current ministry.  Please share your name, where you serve, and something uniquely interesting about yourself!

Great to have the honor of introducing you!  I trust that even the Amy Vanderbilt's of the introductory-etiquette-world would approve of our approach!  

Soli Deo Gloria,
Gerald Chafin

Directions for Posting Your Introduction:  Simply click on the "comments" link in box just under this paragraph.  On the next page, use the 3rd option: "Name/URL."  Click at "Name/URL" and type in your name. Nothing is needed in the URL box. Type your introduction in the comments box; then click the publish button. Thank you for sharing!

13 comments:

Aaran Taylor said...

My name is Aaran Taylor. I am a Christian Ministries major. Something interesting about me is that I went from preschool (except Kindergarten, I skipped Kindergarten)all the way to senior year of high school without missing a single second of school. Yes, my mother was awful and forced me to go. Just kidding, I love her. Oh and I am from Columbia, KY, born and raised.

Kayla Estes said...

My name is Kayla Estes and I am double majoring in Christian Ministries and Human Services. I am from Greensburg, KY. A fun fact about me is I have been making YouTube videos since I was thirteen. The old videos are worse than anyone's embarrassing baby pictures.

Rev. Karen Kluever said...

My name is Karen Kluever. I'm and ordained UM deacon and serve as Minister of Youth Discipleship at Christ Church UM in Louisville. I've been in Louisville about 4 years but am from Charlotte, NC. My favorite things: middle schoolers, planning and leading youth retreats, and marathoning Netflix series.

Jake Smith said...

Hello, My name is Jake Smith! I am actually a Communication Major with a Minor in Christian Ministries. I am originally from San Francisco, California but have been living in Columbia, Kentucky for three years now. I currently serve at Columbia United Methodist Church as a youth pastor a long side my youth team. A few of my favorite things are: the outdoors, mountain biking, and coffee. One unique thing about myself is that I can make my own cold brew coffee.

Abigail Keller said...

Hey! I'm Abby Keller. Lover of outdoors, music, kids, healthy living & living for Christ Jesus. 2016 LWC graduate with a Christian Ministries degree. I had the privilege of taking Worship with Dr. Chafin; a thought provoking class indeed. During that semester I grew spiritually from the enablement of meditation, solitude, and journaling. I now Youth Pastor grades 6-12 at Crestwood UMC.
“If our life is poured out in useless words, we will never hear anything, never become anything, and in the end, because we have said everything before we had anything to say, we shall be left speechless at the moment of our greatest decision.”
-Thomas Merton

Dale Curry said...

My name is Dale Curry. I'm currently serving as pastor at Greensburg United Methodist Church. This is my 25th year at this church. I've previously served at Cave City-Highland UMC and also at the Salem Circuit in Franklin, Kentucky. For about the last six months, I have also served as Assistant to the District Superintendent in the South Central District of the Kentucky Annual Conference. I am married to Deloris Matney Curry and we have one daughter, Rebecca. I enjoy watching high school sports and also photography.

Scott Newman said...

Greetings everyone! My name is Scott Newman, and I am currently serving as Minister of Discipleship and Youth Ministry Associate at Broadway UMC in Bowling Green, KY. One of the best parts of this "job" is overseeing our youth worship team that leads our Sunday morning youth worship services. I received my undergraduate degree from Kentucky Wesleyan College, and my Masters in Christian Formation and Ministry from Wheaton College. I am the father to three boys, ages 5, 3, and 2, and we are expecting a 4th baby in August!

John said...

Hi Everybody! My name is John Hatton and I am currently serving as the lead pastor at Columbia UMC. I also teach at Lindsey and at Asbury Seminary (preaching) from time to time. My graduate studies focused on worship, worship theology, and preaching. Post-grad studies and research was again in preaching, worship, and historical theology. I love planning worship, thinking about the theology of worship, and participating in worship - so this looks to be an exciting class! I enjoy taking the richness of academic thought on worship and bringing it into the "real world" of the church on Sunday mornings.

I will be celebrating 20 years of marriage this May, and I have one son. I enjoy playing electric guitar, flute, woodworking, and coffee!

Matthew Abel said...

My name is Matthew Abel, I'm a senior Christian Ministries major and a part time local pastor serving two Methodist churches in Cumberland County. I like to cook, write, read, and hike in my spare time and I'm fond of playing the kazoo!

Connor Howard said...

Hi, my name is Connor Howard, I am a freshman Christian Ministries major, I have worked on staff the past two years at Camp Loucon, and I have a passion for music ministry and worship, I enjoy playing guitar, drinking coffee, and the outdoors

Jayce Grant said...

My name is Jayce Grant, i am a senior and a Sustainability major and Business minor. I love to play music and am from Columbia Ky!

Tony Franklin said...

Hello, my name is Tony Franklin, I serve as pastor of St Mark UMC in Campbellsville, KY. I enjoy playing music, reading, writing, and encouraging others in ministry. My congregation has transitioned into a new "gift-focused" era of worship and it has been a joy to walk with them through this time. I'm married to Bekah who is a staff pastor in Lebanon working with children, youth, and young adults.

Taylor Evans said...

My name is Taylor Evans, I am a senior Christian Ministries student, and Youth Pastor at @ Columbia United. I love to weight lift, and be outdoors. I will also be attending Asbury Seminary in the fall, working on my Mdiv.