Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Guest Post by Emily Matney

He Knows What Lies Ahead

When the LWC Wesley Scholars were asked to write for CommonMeter, one approach that surfaced was to share about a matter in our life in which we wrestle; something we struggle with.  So, what is something I have been wrestling with in my own faith life?  When I first asked myself this question, nothing seemed to pop in my head.  It’s like I have everything under control.  Yet, in fact, this is totally not true!

Something I struggle with is stress.  I am a full-time student at Lindsey Wilson College, a Wesley Scholar, a Student Ambassador, a pianist and Sunday School teacher at my church.  Plus trying to figure out how I can squeeze in a job that will be completely flexible with my busy schedule so I can pay for my car and phone bill.  This has not been easy.  Actually, it has been extremely overwhelming and there are days when I break down because I don’t know what to do.

Something I could do, that I don’t do much of in this case, is pray about the situation. I let worry take over my life.  Thoughts run through my head like, “What am I going to do?"  “How will I be able to keep making my car and insurance payments, along with my phone bill?”  “I’m never going to make it through this.”

But God tells me not to worry about what the future holds.  In Matthew 6:33 Jesus commands us to "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

I confess that my faith is not as strong as it should be, but a song I play at church reminds me of God’s goodness. These are the words:

I don't worry o'er the future, for I know what Jesus said. 
And today I'll walk beside Him, for He knows what lies ahead. 
Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand, 
But I know who holds tomorrow.  And I know who holds my hand.

What a true blessing it is to know that my Heavenly Father is holding my hand, even when I don’t feel Him.  By faith, I know that everything is going to work out just the way it should. Romans 8:28 tells me that ALL THINGS work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to HIS PURPOSE."  I know that God has a plan for my life… and today I’ll walk beside Him, because He knows what lies ahead!
_______
Emily Matney is a Christian ministries and human services & counseling major at Lindsey Wilson College.  She is a Wesley Scholar from Russell Springs, KY.  Emily doesn't watch tv!  She prefers a good conversation with a friend.